Monday, October 12, 2009

Vegetarian Soy Flax Chili!

I just made the best pot of chili ever!  And its SOY FLAXSEED CHILI so I can say its HEALTHY!  Whoa...groundbreaking stuff.  In my effort to ward off the evils of my DNA when it comes to chronic illness, I am on a healthy kick.  Apparently if I want to live past 35 I have to stop eating like I'm 5....its a bit of a bummer, but I'm getting good at it.  So, here's a recipe for you to try!

Get a clove of garlic and a diced onion started cooking in a BIG pot with a bit of olive oil. While that's started open a can of chick peas, a can of soy kidney beans, a can of soy black beans, and a can of crushed tomatoes.  The can of crushed tomatoes should be about twice as big as the cans of beans. Mash up the black soy beans in the can.  If its too much soy for you, you can use the normal beans..I was just trying to be super healthy tonight, and I did miss the classic kidney beans a bit. 

Add a bag of morning star farms grillers crumbles (I think they call them meal starters or something) to the pot with the onions and garlic and stir it up.  This is the only "fake meat" I will eat.  You never know its not ground beef, and its awesome!

Drain and add the red beans, chick peas, crushed tomatoes and mashed black beans to the pot.  Pour a bit of Ortega taco sauce in, maybe 1/4 cup (or left over salsa you need to get rid of) and bring it to a boil.  Add salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder or tobasco to taste.

I also added about a 1/4 cup of roasted flax seeds (this makes it taste a bit nutty).  You can grind these in a coffee grinder if you want to taste and see them less, or leave them out if its not your thing.  With my joint history I needed to learn to love these suckers, and sneaking them in my chili is a great way to do it!

And Voila!  Put on some slippers and enjoy your Kickin' Soy Flax Chili.  Served best hot!  FYI--tastes just as good with ground turkey, but don't eat it every night for dinner...you'll be tryptophaned into a turkey coma for days.  I was a zombie last time :)

Trust me people...I spent years made up of 60% bacon cheeseburger...if It wasn't good, I wouldn't be posting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment