Sunday, October 11, 2009

Travel Tips

A whole new month and I am just now posting! Its been a bit of a crazy week.  I took a weekend trip to New York and visit my old stomping grounds.  I came back to Chicago, and jumped into teaching two classes.  So I'm just now doing laundry, etc and getting my bearings again.  I thought I would post a few of my favorite travel tips for you all.  Just a few clever things I have picked up from experience, and being around nomadic theatre people. 

How to find you car at the airport, concert staduim or anywhere where there are WAY to many options:
Use your cell phone camera.  I try and park near the signs that identify the areas like G3, or whatever.  I always take a photo that shows the sign and my car's relationship to it.  This way I remember the number and how close my car is to it. If its a really big lot, like the economy parking at O'hare, I take another photo of that sign halfway between the concourse or bus stop or whatever and my car...so I know which way to head.  Then when I get back from my trip, its just lining up the landmarks in the image!

How to keep your shampoo bottles, etc from leaking:
Whether they are travel bottles or larger this works!  Unscrew the lid and get a piece of saran wrap or a piece of a plastic bag.  Lay it over the top of the bottle and screw the lid back on over it.  This will create a seal so even if the top comes a bit loose or flips up, you don't have shampoo allover everything.

Packing tight:
I found years ago that the best way to pack is to roll your clothes around each other.  There are fewer wrinkles and it takes less space.  I lay 3 pairs of pants on top of each other and roll them up like a jelly roll.  Its compact and you don't have to deal with creases across them.

Best Airplane snack: Butter Rum Life Savers.  They last forever and keep you busy.

Those are the best of for now.  Its a short goofy post, but maybe these tips will come in handy for you.  If you have your own tips--please share them with me!  I'll take any help I can get with streamlining life these days!


No comments:

Post a Comment