Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cool Stuff

I actually went shopping after work for something other than groceries the other day, and Bam!--I fell in love with a new thing...which is exactly why I stopped going shopping after work in the first place!  I just had to share this with you all!  There's a great little shop at Oakbrook Mall in Chicago called  Nature's Home.  Their claim to fame is to "proudly bring you earth-freindly products dedicated to the care of your home, your family, your friends, and our precious planet."  Now you all know I am trying to be greener, healthier, etc., but most of you also know that this type of whole hog store is not the path I would typically take.  I usually dip my toe in and wait a year for the water to feel warm before proceeding.

Enter---the window display that changed my mind!!  They had tons of tee shirts on display from Tees for Change.   Let's break this down:  T-shirts --what's not to love, and Change--um have you been reading this blog!  I'm all about change these days.  Two of my favorite things in one place, and I was literally SUCKED into the store.

See below for my very first purchase from this great little company.  It came complete with the world's cutest tag noting: "organic cotton, sustainable bamboo, sweatshop free, fair trade, yoga inspired, eco fashion" And the back of the tag sealed the deal with a quote from...drumroll please... Andy Warhol! "They say that time changes things but you actually have to change them yourself."  No kiddin' it took me 30 years to figure that one out!

  My new idea is to walk up to people and say "Hi, my name is Change"  and see if they figure out what to do next!  I know--it's goofy, but oh so Heidi in spirit right, and pro-hugs which I love.

So there are a few lessons here.  First...all those little marketing details really do pay off and draw clients in.  The right window display can target a whole new audience, and put your clever in your tags people!  Second...old dog over here is into the new tricks.  I have always heard about and supported anti-sweatshop and sustainable products, but never really lived the theory.  There's something empowering about knowing that the shirt I have on helps more than it harms, and embodies the principals I believe in.  It's an easy way (yes, I said easy...something in our lives should be, right?) to feel like I have made a conscious choice that makes a difference.  I am no longer a lazy spout of verbal support with no action.  Where and what you choose to buy will make or break a company these days.  Sales are down to a level where losing and gaining one client actually shows and makes a difference on the books.  What a great opportunity to give some feedback to the companies we support the efforts of.

And....as a sure sign this is a correct trend in my life.  I came home to a fabulous note that my building is FINALLY setting up a RECYCLING program!  If that is what the extra $15 a month on my new lease is going to I will proudly pay it, and recycle with a smile.  

That's all for now.  Next time you are shopping with a few bucks to spare, go buy a t-shirt and support these folks.  They are producing a product full of good vibes inside and out!




2 comments:

  1. I WANT THAT SHIRT! Are they online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The company name above is a link to their website....and they come in Happy winterproof colors :)

    ReplyDelete