Sunday, October 25, 2009

Baby its cold outside....

So yesterday I had to walk somewhere in Chicago.  Its been ages since I had to travel on foot (the drawback of working in the suburbs).  I miss that NYC walk everywhere as fast as possible vibe more than I thought.  But what I didn't miss was cold ears!!  Its getting to be that time of year when I go into hibernation mode.  I start organizing my apartment as much as possible and nesting like all of my pregnant friends.  All because I know I'm going to need to hunker down for a long winter soon.  So....I have decided to share my top 10 tips for surviving a Chicago winter.  May they help you get through to May!!

1. Bob Marley...don't laugh it works.  I have a mix of Marley, steal drum bands, and marimba music that I listen to on my way to work in any snowstorm.  I use it on my i-pod when I shovel my car, and it makes me warmer, happier and able to get through the day. It transports me to the Virgin Islands through my ears.

2. Fruity tea.  I drink a pot of fruity tea to warm up once I get inside.  Anything that is berry or orange or lemon inspired.  It's like the flavor of summer iced tea with the warmth you need in the winter.

3.  Awesome new slippers.  Every winter I buy new cozy slippers.  When your feet are cold, its best to make them cute so they are warm AND adorable.  See below for last years slippers, I haven't bought this years yet...waiting for something to strike me.  These are from Target...just too darn cute, they make me smile whenever I look down. After all, if the sock monkeys are happy...everyone is happy.


Yes, these are bright green sweatpants...see #7 for explanation.

4. Good movies.  My netflix activity doubles in the winter.  Its like the black and white movie on a rainy day deal, but with snow.  So stock up your list of stuff to rent and start collecting pizza coupons.

5. Flannel Sheets.  Yes, I'm a decorator and I believe in flannel sheets.  They feel great, and they even look great if you embrace the idea and take your time finding them.  Speaking of embracing, they cuddle better than summer sheets too!  Egyptian cotton always feels cool, that's what makes it awesome in the summer, but in the winter...brrrrr.  I go flannel and I'm proud of it.  Even when they don't match my other bedding...I love these flannel sheets and hope they make it another year until I find another set I like just as much.  I call them the cherry bomb sheets.  I think they came from The Company Store.  I've had them for a few years now....they date back to my red lacquer phase (yes, I had one and I'm proud of it.  I'm actually thinking of revisiting it).




6.  Fireplace...or candles.  If you don't have a fireplace, candle it up.  It won't make you warm (at least not in my drafty old apartment), but it will remind you of fireside times--which are a winter positive in my book.  Also, they have these great fireplace heaters that look like fireplaces but act like space heaters.  Some are even remote controlled.  I have always wanted to get one for my studio , but there just isn't a spot yet!  So candles, the big ones in their own containers with multiple wicks are the best.  And I have recently joined the Soy candle fan club.  If its good enough to eat, its good enough to burn.

7. COLOR your world!  The leaves get personality in the fall for a reason, they are trying to brighten up those gray skies and keep us happy.  I do the same in the winter.  I know basic black is everyone's favorite because its slimming, chic, and virtually stain proof...but its also what you wear to a funeral, and winter in Chicago is depressing enough.  So find a hot pink sweater or my personal favorite, a fruity pebbles scarf (thank you Katie, that scarf is still keeping me warm and happy).  Wear your colors proudly and be the sunshine we are lacking in our chilly days.


Happy tree outside my window trying to be the sun for me.  Pardon the blur, I took this with my screen down.

8. Find summer stuff indoors.  Call the us crazy in the midwest, but we do this.  I like the Nature museum's butterfly exhibit here in Chicago, or Garfield Park's Conservatory with indoor gardens.  There is nothing like hanging with butterflies inside while the snow is falling, or go to an indoor waterpark for the day (we have one of these too within a few hours drive).  Get your flowers and your summer fun inside.  You may have to seek it out, but its there.

9.  Don't Stop Grilling and other traditions!! Don't give up your summer favorites just because society tells you to!  I grilled in the winter in my house in NJ with my hat and gloves on as much as possible.  I just ducked in the sliding doors when I could to warm up, and drank some hot tea while I waited.  There is no reason to stop tasting the summer.  Grill it up, and have some lemonade while you are at it! This is another way to fool our senses..just because our eyes see the snow, does not mean we can't taste and smell the summer bbqs we love.

10.  Safety in Numbers. Snowflakes travel in packs and the only way to defend yourselves against them is to team up.  So bulk up with your friends and brave it.  Have hibernation parties!  Check in on your cold weather friends and keep each other active during the chilly months.  Together we can make it to summer with minimal damage to our spirits and waistlines.

I know its only October, but its been a cold one. This post may be early, but start the preparations now.  Find your slippers and your flannel sheets and if you see a candle on sale, snag it for your survival kit!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE these suggestions!

    I also ADORE your Fruity pebbles scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find its the definition of "Make it Work" ala Mister Gunn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've embraced your idea and am wearing bright PINK today.

    <3

    ReplyDelete