Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fall and Food

I thought I would spend today doing a little hiking or reading in the park before the fall chill sets in next week, but I am in bed nursing a cold. Reading is still an option, but I keep falling asleep just when things get good. The drowsy effect that a sinus infection causes is a sure way to cut time with a novel short!

Speaking of health, in light of some resurfacing joint pain the past few weeks I am trying a new diet. Perhaps that has shocked my system into this cold! I have officially lasted a week without soda, which I haven't done since I was in college. I only fell off the healthy kick once for a greasy pizza so I am pretty proud of myself. I am taking cues from an old roommate and focusing on managing free radicals by increasing my anti oxidants. So white tea, flax seeds, and fish are back on the list. Well, to be honest fish never really was on the list so this is kind of a big deal.

Cooking fish for 1 is a bit of a puzzzle as it reheats so poorly, but I am determined to try. After all if I can correct things by altering what I eat instead of scary drugs I'm all for it. No official diagnosis yet...we start that process Monday. However, I'm not sure I will trust anything that doesn't come with black and white test results these days.

Speaking of food--It is amazingly freeing that I am not fasting for Yom Kippur Monday. I did last year out of habit and for comfort, and I have done plenty of reflection over the last week consistent with the Jewish new year. The fasting just seems too attached to the past and not of the present moment. I may participate again in the future and my thoughts are with my Jewish friends that they have an easy fast and a healthy transition into the New Year.

That's all for now, but if anyone has any good salmon or tilapia recipies please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment